The weather is heating up this week and the first official day of summer is here. As you plan for your summer vacation, here are a few safety tips to keep your home safe and secure.
- Make your home look occupied, and make it difficult to break in.
- Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to bed. Even if it is for a short time, lock your doors.
- Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked even if you are home. Don’t tempt thieves with what you have in your garage. Bikes and lawn mowers are easy to take and can sell quickly.
- Don’t allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers to build up while you are away. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to take them regularly.
- Arrange for your lawn to be mowed if you are going away for an extended time.
- Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary.
- Pushbutton locks on doorknobs are easy for burglars to open. Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors.
- Sliding glass doors are vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.
- Most importantly…Don’t post on social media sites that you are on vacation. It is advertising to the world that your home in unprotected.
Remax InnovationsCurrent Listings
Licensed to sell real estate in the state of Iowa