Are Ron Paul Backers to Blame for Drop in Iowa GOP Donations?
Use the nifty database below to see who in Waukee and across Iowa donated to the Mitt Romney-President Obama Election 2012. Overall, the Iowa GOP saw donations drop and some party influencers say they worry about Ron Paul supporters in key positions.
Financial support to the Republican Party of Iowa dropped in 2012, the Des Moines Register reports, and some influential Republicans lay the blame at the feet of the former Ron Paul supporters who took over party leadership last year.
The newspaper said donations from individuals decreased 43 percent through late November from the year before, cash on hand dropped significantly, and the Iowa GOP was in the red every month but one, according to the federal disclosure reports available for 2012.
Several Republicans told the Register a lack of confidence in the Ron Paul-affiliated leaders who took power at state party headquarters in the past year are the cause of the dwindling donations.
“It’s got a lot of good Republicans very upset about it,” West Des Moines businessman Gary Kirke, one of the top Iowa donors to GOP causes, told the newspaper. “They’ll be hard-pressed to raise money until things are straightened out, I’ll tell you that.”
GOP Chairman A.J. Spiker, a former Paul campaign aide, was up for retention in his post on Saturday, and was re-elected despite a challenge. Spiker disagreed publicly with Gov. Terry Branstad this fall after the governor suggested the state party end the Ames Straw Poll fundraiser.
The final vote totals for the Election 2012 presidential race in Iowa gave the race to President Obama over opponent Mitt Romney, both in actual votes and money donated.
In Iowa, 15,063 contributions came into the two candidates -- 12,422 for Obama and 2,641 for Romney.
In Waukee, 42 contributions came in for the president and 59 for Romney.
To see who from Waukee -- or anybody from Iowa -- contributed to the campaigns, just type their names in the appropriate window above.
Note that the database is based on data from Federal Elections Commission. The contributions are to the specific candidates and do not reflect those made to political parties or PACs.
See More on Patch
- Republicans Like Iowa Mayor’s Record; Will He Seek Harkin Seat?
- GOP Primary Favorite Says He Won't Run for Iowa U.S. Senate Seat
- Can Ron Paul Fans, Evangelicals and Moderates Agree on GOP Candidate for Harkin's Senate Seat?
- 2012 Election Autopsy: Voters Shunned GOP for Being ‘Scary’ and ‘Narrow Minded’
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Republicans? It's Rand Paul
Most Popular articles
- Movie Reviews: 'Star Trek Into Darkness', 'The Great Gatsby', 'Peeples' and More
- Sold: Waukee Class Markets Weekend Tour of Homes for Sale
- Storm Clouds Roll Over Dallas County Sunday Night
- Class of 2013: When is Waukee High School's Commencement?
- Teen Charged With Theft of Laptop Computer: Waukee Police Reports