Iowa Patch Poll: What Should Iowa's Legislature Focus on this Session?
Iowa's state legislative session is beginning Monday. What do you think they should focus on?
What do you think is the most pressing issue facing Iowans right now that the Iowa Legislature should definitely focus on passing this legislative session?
Things for Iowa's economy appear steady but positive.
Iowa's unemployment rate is low compared to the rest of the country and continues to improve slowly.
On top of it all there's an actual $688 million budget surplus at the moment.
So Iowa's Republican Governor and House and Democratic Senate have a lot of positives to work with going into the next year. But the question is, what do they want to do with it?
As you are their constituents, I'll give you some options, you vote below for what you think is most important and tell us in comments why.
- Reform commercial property taxes
- Reform the mental health system
- Improve K-12 Schooling (Your choice as to how)
- Funding higher ed.
- Keeping young professionals in the state
- Keep Developing alternative energy industry
- Prepare for Obamacare
- Pass an increase to the gas tax to fix an aging road system
- Gun control (pro or con)
- Legalize marijuana
- Ban abortion
- Do away with gay marriage
- Something entirely different